Sunday night, March 5th was the 27th Annual Northern Virginia Football Hall of Fame Annual Awards Banquet. The event is a cornerstone of youth and high school sports in Fairfax County. Every year it is attended by players, parents, coaches and referees from every youth football program in Northern Virginia as well as many high schools.
Fairfax County leaders attend every year. This year, Rep. Gerry Connelly, Supervisors Herrity, Faust, and Smith, as well as school board members Ryan McElveen and Ilryong Moon all attended. Neighborhood and Community Services Director Chris Leonard and NCS Athletic Services Branch Manager along with Stephen McLaughlin and Harold Leff from the Athletic Council were also there.
But the real focus of the evening is the award recipients.
This year’s Hall of Fame Inductees were Mac Slover and Lucky Whitehead. Slover is the Alexandria Recreation Department Regional Program Director, Youth Activities Section, Field and Courts Coordinator. Whitehead graduated from Osbourn High School and is currently playing for the Dallas Cowboys.
Alva Foster from Fort Belvoir Youth Sports received the Karl Davey Memorial Achievement Award. Steven Fredley and Matthew Barakat from McLean-Great Falls Football Association jointly received the Tom Davis Meritorious Service Award. Chuck Martin, the Commissioner of Gum Springs Youth Athletic Association, won the Gene Nelson Memorial Award for Commissioner of the Year.
Cheerleaders of the Year were Carson Munchel (Dulles South Youth Sports), Hayden Wilkins (Gum Springs Youth Athletic Association) and Mia Vu (Dulles South Youth Sports).
High school players of the year include:
- Kevin Petrillo, Conference 5, Westfield High School
- Brian Delaney, Conference 5, Westfield High School
- Kris Thornton, Conference 8, Osbourn High School
- Lamont Atkins, Conference 7, Lake Braddock Secondary School
- Sam Kidd, Conference 6, Madison High School
- Brailyn Franklin, Conference 8, Battlefield High School
Youth football players of the year include:
- Joshua Clarke, 90lb Central Conference, Alexandria Recreation
- John Jurack, 100lb American Conference, American Pride Youth Football League
- Ethan Heim, 80lb Central Conference, Annandale Boys & Girls Club
- Jack Perkins, 115lb Central Conference, Arlington Youth Football Club
- Ryan Rivera, 90lb National Conference, Braddock Road Youth Club
- Ethan Ross, 90lb Central Conference, Chantilly Youth Association
- Alfred Nathaniel Honesty II, 80lb National Conference, Dulles South Youth Sports
- Kyle Scher, 130lb American Conference, Fairfax Police Youth Club
- Copeland Oliver, 80lb National Conference, Fort Belvoir Youth Sports
- Benjamin Chambers, 115lb American Conference, Fort Hunt Football & Cheerleading
- Gabe Bigbee, 90lb American Conference, Gainesville-Haymarket Youth Football League
- Kebbren Leigh-Gaye, 130lb American Conference, Gum Springs Youth Athletic Association
- Kevin Dickson, 115lb Central Conference, Herndon Optimist Youth Football
- Jason “Duce” Harris Jr., 100lb Central Conference, James Lee Football
- Xavier Carmichael, 90lb Central Conference, Lee Franconia Football League
- RaHe Life Ward, 155lb American Conference, Manassas Youth Football League
- Brendan Mansinne, 90lb Central Conference, McLean-Great Falls Football Association
- Nicholas Haitz, 100lb American Conference, Reston Youth Association
- Owen Schleyer, 90lb Central Conference, South County Athletic Association
- Avery Ford, 130lb American Conference, Southwestern Youth Association
- Jakob Knud Foss, 130lb American Conference, Springfield Youth Club
- Jeff Ryder, 80lb American Conference, Vienna Youth Incorporated
High school coaches of the year include:
- Mickey Thompson, Stone Bridge High School
- Kyle Simmons, Westfield High School
Coaches of the year for youth football include:
- Steve Lane, Anklebiter Division, American Pride Youth Football League
- Cliff Epperson, American Division, Southwestern Youth Association
- Stefan Green, Central Division, Arlington Youth Football Club
- Vinson B. Morris, National Division, Springfield Youth Club
Football officials of the year include:
- Michal Simon, Fairfax County Football Officials Association
- Robert Walther, Northern Virginia Football Officials Association
- Anthony McGill, D.C. Metropolitan Football Officials Association
Shannon Rose Trinca from Centreville High School received the Fairfax County Youth Cheer Hall of Fame Scholarship Award. Tyler Reynolds from Falls Church High School, Kobie Turner from Centreville High School, and Jake Herzog from West Springfield High School each received Northern Virginia Football Hall of Fame Scholarship Awards.
The stories for each of the award recipients were awesome.
It was a great event. Mark Meana did a great job as the Master of Ceremonies. New this year were videos about all of the award recipients. These videos were awesome and were done by the Fairfax High School Broadcast Journalism Team who conducted interviews and produced all of the videos.